Saturday, August 25, 2012

Colombia, el riesgo es que te quieras quedar.


Holaaa. 

After Africa I had the opportunity to jet down south for some R&R in the beautiful country of Colombia. If you were wondering by now, yes. I only enjoy spending travel time in countries on the State Department warning list. 

Joking!  

Sort of? ;)

When many think of Colombia, kidnappings, Pablo Escobar & illicit substances happen to come to mind. 

But let's get this straight right now.

Unless you are running for public office or go wandering into FARC territory in the middle of the jungle, it is not likely you are going to be taken and held for randsom. You probably have a higher risk of being abducted in downtown Dallas. Yes, Colombia has had an unfortunate past, but it has made huge strides in security in the last two decades. The people are moving forward and not looking back. Their motto - "The only risk is wanting to stay". 


The country is one of the best kept secrets of Latin America, and I've been enjoying this hidden gem with a handful of non-fearing foreigners for years now. I have, however, been pleasantly surprised at the growing amount of tourist each time I return. As much as I'd like to keep it to myself, you should go book a ticket right. this. instant. 

Why?

The people are arguably the kindest on the planet.
The cuisine is divine.
The cities are full of life.
The natural landscape is breathtaking.
I could go on forever. 

A ridiculous amount of people in my life happen to be Colombian, so I might be biased. But I have been ten (yes, ten!) times and can't get enough. So get on it, people! You won't regret it. 


Kiki



No comments:

Post a Comment